Vancouver Island (BC) Invitational – VRC Remote Skills Tournament (Judging)
- Event Code
- VEX Robotics Competition
- Event Type
- Event Format
- Skills Only
- Spots Open
- Event Region
- Vancouver Island (BC)
- Max Registrations per Organization
100% of total capacity is reserved
for Vancouver Island (BC).
7 remaining spots are reserved for Vancouver Island (BC).
- It is past the registration deadline.
Welcome to the Vancouver Island (BC) Remote Skills Event
(Substituted for all January 2022 Events due to Public Health Orders)
- Teams will sign up for a time slot for the Skills Competition. Please sign up multiple teams one after the other in ONE Zoom Breakout Room. If your organization only has 1 or 2 teams, the Event Partner may contact you to "buddy you up" with another small organization.
- You will have thirty minutes to complete as many skills runs as you like.
- Note that there is a maximum of 3 driver skills runs and 3 programming skills runs per event.
- There is NO cost to attend this event..
INSTRUCTIONS for the day
- Instructions on how/where to sign up for the available time slots are sent upon registering for the event
- Be sure to check your spam/junk folder if you don't receive a sign up email immediately after you register.
- Zoom will be used as the conferencing platform for this event. Links to join the event via Zoom will be sent out closer to the event date.
- Please install Tournamenrt manager and OBS Studio (free) https://obsproject.com/download to be used in conjuction with Tounament Manager Software and the Audience Display (Overlay). Conatct firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- You will need to be inspected before your Skills Runs. A link to the inspection sign up for Friiday after school 3:00 - 5:00 and Saturday 8:00am - 9:00am will be sent once you have registered..
- You need to be ready in Zoom 5 minutes prior to your slot time with a portable camera, a sizing tool or tape measure, an inspection sheet to follow along to AND your team drivers as a screen capture will be taken for the referees to reference to ensure no funny business happens.
REMOTE SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- One Competition Switch, Field Controller setup with Tournament Manager, or an extra V5 Brain
- OBS Studio (free) https://obsproject.com/download istalled an configured with Tournament Manager IF possible. Conatct email@example.com for more information
- Tool for sizing (VEX measuring tool or equivalent, measuring tape, etc.)
- Webcam(s) connected to a computer with Zoom capability. One webcam is permissible if it can view the whole field as well as move around the field via the Head Ref's instructions. Otherwise, additional webcams are needed to accomplish these tasks. Webcams need to log into the event at least 5 minutes before your time slot. A mobile phone on a tripod may be acceptable if it can view the entire field.
Teams should carefully review the VRC Change Up Appendix B section regarding team requirements for Remote Skills Matches. (Pay close attention to RSE4 - RSE8)
Grade Level: All
Skills Challenge Offered: Yes
Judging Format: Remote judging
Event Dates & Locations
Comox, British Columbia Canada
Contact InformationYou must login to contact this Event Partner
AGENDA - Remote Tournament.
Thursday, January 27th
Links to the Zoom session sent to participating Teams
Last call for Technical support from Event Partner
Friday, Janaury 28th
Inspection Rooms open 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Saturday, Janaury 29th
8:00am - 9:00am - Inspection Rooms Open
9:00am to 3:00pm (Judging (Amaze, Build, Create, Think)
9:00am - 12:00pm - Remote Skills Runs
12:00pm - 12:30pm - LUNCH Break
12:30pm - 3:30pm - Remote Skills Runs (3:00pm Top Teams run 3rd attempts @ Drving & Programming)
3:30pm - Wrap Up and Awards
Volunteers are organized though the EP and participating organizations.
Emergency/Bad Weather Policy
In case of an incident or circumstance effecting this event, The event organizer will undertake these TWO notification strategies.
- An advisory describing the situation (e.g. inclement weather) and the action being taken (e.g. event cancellation) will be posted to this RobotEvents event listing under this tab.
- The same information will also be e-mailed to all registered team coaches.
Payment of tournament fees needs to be received in the mail no later than February 5th, 2021
If you will not be showing to the tournament, please let the tournament organizer (Steve Claassen@sd71.bc.ca) know ASAP. We consider our cancellation and refund terms to be very lenient. VIRA reserves the right to withdrawn registration privileges of teams found to be abusing these terms (e.g. repeated team cancellations due to speculative registration).
Health and Safety Policies
Remote only event. Follow your regions Department of Health, School Board and team's health and safety procedures to participate in the event.
PLEASE NOTE: All approved events and event attendees are required to follow all local, national or any other government advice and guidance regarding COVID-19 safety procedures, social distancing, and best hygiene practices. Event Partners should continually assess, based on current government guidelines, whether to postpone, cancel, or significantly reduce the number of attendees when necessary. As this event is a liuve remote event it is up to the team to make sure all COVID-19 protocals are being followed. Please limit the number of participants at you site. The Event Partner takes no responsibility for Adults or Students not following the rules.
Remote Judging - The Team Interviews will be conducted remotely, and Engineering Notebooks will be submitted to judges electronically. Interviews and Notebook submission deadlines may be scheduled ahead of the event date.