2020 Wisconsin State Championship - VRC High School
- Event Code
- VEX Robotics Competition
- Event Type
- Spots Open
- Event Region
- This event currently has no spaces available.
- It is past the registration deadline.
Wisconsin State VRC High School Championship
The 2020 Wisconsin VEX State Championship will be held at the Fox Cities Exhibition Center in Appleton.
Please visit the Travel Info page for directions, hotel information and parking information.
Teams may drop off team members and equipment at the drop off lot off of Elm Street. There is no parking allowed in the drop off lot.
Friday evening starting at 6:00 PM teams may check-in to their pits, get early inspection and run skills matches. Teams that come to help setup can earn priority access to skills fields. We will issue a Fast Pass to any team that volunteers at least 4 hours of labor which can be used either Friday night or Saturday morning.
All teams (VRC and VEX IQ) are invited to a Team Party that will take place on Saturday night from 7:00-9:30 PM in the venue after we have taken down VRC and setup for VEX IQ. We will have board games and video games to play as well as some fun and competitive activities. We will also have pizza and drinks available for purchase. VEX IQ teams may also check-in and run skills for a portion of this time.
Wisconsin VRC – High School has been granted 10 World Championship spots:
1 Excellence Award Winner
2 Tournament Champions
2 Tournament Finalists
4 Tournament Semi-Finalists
1 Design Award Winner
If a team double-qualifies for a World Championship spot, the state’s next highest ranking team from the World Skills Standings up to and including the State Championship receives the invitation. World Championship invitations from the World Skills Standings are issued by email after the results of the State Championship have been posted at robotevents.com, and will not be announced at the State Championship.
World Championship qualifying awards and invitations are issued to teams whether or not the teams have expressed an intention to attend the event. Unaccepted World Championship invitations are not offered or transferred to other teams.
Competition Preparation This event is sure to be a fast-paced and exciting event. All teams should come prepared for competition. Here are a few steps that every team should take to ensure that they are prepared.
1. Review the rules and run through the inspection checklist about a week before the competition so that there is ample time for adjustments. The inspection checklist can be found on the Documents tab.
2. Read the document 120 Things to do before your first VEX Tournament found on the Documents tab.
3. Pack for the event the day before the day of departure.
- Here are a few items that you don't want to forget.
- Goggles/Safety Glasses
- Spare parts & tools
- Batteries and chargers
- Programming cable
- Power strip
- Laptop computer
- Engineering notebook (if you have one, helpful for Judges, Design and Excellence Awards )
- Banners and other decorations for your team pit
- Giveaways if you have them
4. Remember that safety comes first, please don't bring tools that pose a safety risk to your team, or others nearby as the venue is a very tight fit. Also, remember no grinding or other actions that create sparks.
5. Understand how the game will be played. VEX participants should thoroughly read the game rules. Additional rulings and interpretations of the game rules can be found on the Official VEX Forums.
6. Read through the Robot troubleshooting guide found on the Documents tab.
7. To ensure that you have the latest version of firmware make sure that you have the latest update of your programming software. If you have the white VEXNET keys, the keys themselve have updatable firmware and you can download the VEXnet Key Firmware Updater. Link here to Firmware Updater Utility and VEX Key 2.0 Firmware Updater Utility
8. Participation Consent & Waiver Form - A waiver is required for all participants. It can be submitted online or a hard copy can be turned in at the event.
VRC HS Judging
Each team fill out this form to indicate your preference for a judging time slot: https://goo.gl/forms/hhtS8IH5ZhIhHq8E3
Parking at Event
Grade Level: High School
Skills Challenge Offered: Yes
Event Dates & Locations
355 W Lawrence St,
Appleton, Wisconsin 54911
Contact InformationYou must login to contact this Event Partner
Friday, February 21
6:00-9:00 Registration, Inspection and Skills runs (priority given to teams that assisted with setup)
Saturday, February 22
7:30 Pits Open, Registration and Inspection
8:00 Drivers Meeting and Skills Opens
8:30 Opening Ceremonies
9:00-12:00 Qualification Rounds
12:00-12:30 Lunch Break
12:30-3:45 Qualification Rounds
4:00 Alliance Selection
4:30 Finals Matches
6:30 Pits closed, IQ Changeover
7:30-10:00 Team Party
We Need You!
Many volunteers are needed to make this event a success. The Wisconsin VEX State Tournaments are run to benefit all VEX Teams in Wisconsin. As such we need all VEX Teams in Wisconsin to help make them successful and sustainable events.
There are lots of volunteer roles that need to be filled. There are also four seperate State Tournaments happening the same weekend, and we can use help at all of them. Consider volunteering for one of the events you are not participating in. That will give you more time at your event and help make the other events successful, too!
We expect all teams participating in the Wisconsin VEX State Tournament to register at least one volunteer to help at one of the events. More are welcome and encouraged to sign up. If every team can do this, we will not have any trouble getting enough volunteers for the events.
Volunteer Signup Links
Signup Link: https://signup.com/go/QAPtfqw
Judges and Referees
Volunteers to serve as Judges and Referees are also needed for all events. No experience is necessary to be a Judge or a Referee, but those with experience are encouraged to volunteer. These rolls mostly require an all-day commitment. The tournament can assist with hotel lodging for judge and referee volunteers that need it. Coaches and VEX alumni are encouraged to serve as judges for events that they do not have teams participating in. This is a great opportunity to learn how to help your teams improve as well as help teams in other programs.
Age Requirements for Judges and Referees
- All judges at the State Tournament must be adults (18 or older and out of high school)
- Referees/scorekeepers must be at least 15 years old
Judges Signup Link: https://signup.com/go/QAPtfqw (same as other volunteers)
Referree Signup Link: https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/3044025/true#/invitation (note this is for multiple events throughout the year - find the State Tournament section to signup for state)
If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact event coordinators Nathan Nolte (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ron Lohse (email@example.com).
Emergency/Bad Weather Policy
Please check this tab for the most current information in case of inclement weather.
The safety of players, coaches, and volunteers is our first priority. This includes travel hazards in case of inclement weather. Every effort will be made to keep the event running on-time, but if necessary we may delay the start or postpone to the following day (depending on the availability of the venue).
Teams that need to withdraw from the event before the event deadline and produce an invoice showing payment will be refunded in full less a $5 processing fee at our earliest convenience. Teams that withdraw between the event deadline and the day of the event will receive NO refund, unless as determined by the Event Partner that there are extenuating circumstances (these will be rare).
Date: 22-Feb-2020Fox Cities Exhibition Center
355 W Lawrence St,
Appleton, Wisconsin 54911
The prefered hotel is:
Red Lion Paper Valley Hotel, Downtown Appleton
Hotel booking link:
REC Foundation Design Award Rubric.REC Foundation Design Award Rubric
Participant Release Form Spanish.Participant Release Form Spanish
Participant Release Form.Participant Release Form
REC Foundation Code of Conduct.REC Foundation Code of Conduct
VRC Qualifying Criteria.VRC Qualifying Criteria
VRC Robot Inspection Checklist for V5.VRC Robot Inspection Checklist for V5
VRC Tower Takeover One Page Description.VRC Tower Takeover One Page Description