Event Code: RE-VIQC-20-1801
Program: VEX IQ Challenge
Type of Event: Tournament
Capacity: 24 / Spots Open: 5
Event Region: South Dakota
Max Registrations per Organization: 8
Price: $35.00This event is closed to registration because:
Grade Level: All
Robot Skills Challenge Offered: Yes
Judging Format: In-Person judging
The ROV Middle School VEX IQ Tournament will be held on Saturday, November 14th. Students this year will design robots for the Rise Above Game, details can be found here: https://www.vexrobotics.com/vexiq/competition/viqc-current-game
PER VERMILLION HIGH SCHOOL POLICY, MASKS FOR ATTENDEES, VOLUNTEERS, AND SPECTATORS WILL BE REQUIRED. SOCIAL DISTANCING, TOO.
This tournament is open to Middle School students, which includes students born after May 1, 2005.
Skills Challenges will be available to all teams, with 3 Max Driver attempts and 3 Max Programming attempts per team.
The top ten (10) teams from the qualification rounds will participate in Finals. These ten (10) teams will be automatically paired into 5 Alliances. The top scoring alliance in Finals will earn the Tournament Champion Award.
This event is sure to be a fast-paced and exciting event. To help all teams prepare, here are a few tips for each team:
1. Review the rules and run through the inspection checklist about a week before the competition so that there is ample time for adjustments. The inspection checklist for 2020/2021 is not available yet. The old one can be found here. http://link.roboticseducation.org/viqc_robotinspectionchecklist20192020
2. Check the official Game Manual for rule updates and changes.
3. Check the official QA Forums for rule updates and changes is not available yet.
4. Carefully read all of the information contained in this tournament posting all updates will be posted here
5. Pack for the event the day before the day of departure. Here are a few items that you don't want to forget.
6. Read through the Awards Appendix, there has been some small changes to the awards process. Link to be released in July.
7. Prep for your interviews with the judges. Check the awards tab to see what awards will be given during the tournament.
8. Remember that safety comes first, please don't bring tools that pose a safety risk to your team, or others nearby as the venue is a very tight fit.
8. Understand how the game will be played. VEX IQ participants are more than welcome to watch the referee training videos before they attend a tournament. The referee training videos can be found here: Not Available Yet
10. Read through the Robot troubleshooting guide. The guide can be found here -
11. Ensure that you have the latest version of firmware. https://www.vexrobotics.com/vexiq/resources/vexos
Saturday, November 14, 2020
10:00 am Registration, Inspection, Turn in Notebook
10:00 am - 11:45 am Skills Challenge
10:00 am - 11:45 am Judging
11:45 am - Event Meeting
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm Qualification matches
3:00 pm - 3:15 pm Final alliance matches
3:30 pm Presentation of awards, closing
Agenda subject to change. Late start to allow for travelling teams.
No previous experience is needed for most volunteer positions, and you can even bring your kids for a family activity (for example, Field Resetter is an ideal position for young children).
You can register for the entire event, or just a portion of the day as your schedule permits for most positions.
Lunch is included for volunteers.
Want to find out more about these volunteer roles and expectations? Visit the REC Foundation website at RoboticsEducation.org/volunteer-resources/ to check out position descriptions and find volunteer training materials. Once you have an assigned volunteer role, please carefully review all guides and training materials posted on the Volunteer Resources page before the event.
Contact the Volunteer Coordinator to register for this event today!
In case of bad weather conditions or possible cancellations please visit the event on RobotEvents.com where we will post updates about the event status as needed. If any questions arise please contact LD Herrera at 605-660-9968 the day of the event.
Full refunds minus the $5.00 processing fee will be available until one week before the event. After that, refunds based on special circumstances may be made at the discretion of the event partner.
We ask that participants contact LD Herrera for refund requests. Refunds can take up to 2 months to process following the event.
Masks are required. Social distancing is expected. The facility is large enough to maintain a good distance from others.