Derby Robo Challenge (VRC MS Only)
- Event Code
- VEX Robotics Competition
- Event Type
- Event Format
- Spots Open
- Event Region
- Max Registrations per Organization
- Standard Registration Opens
- 13-Dec-2022 20:00 EST
- Registration Deadline
- 3-Feb-2023 08:00 EST
- This event currently has no spaces available.
- It is past the registration deadline.
Welcome to the 6th Annual Derby Robo Challenge. This event registration will be for the middle school division only. The event will be held in the gyms at Derby North Middle School. Teams will be provided a table for their robot and additional equipment. Bleacher seating will be available for spectators to watch the meet. As we get closer to February, more information will be made available regarding concessions and lunch options.
Participants and spectators should enter through the gymnasium entrance doors located on the South side.
COVID and Social Distancing - Current policies and protocols will be shared with teams at least one week prior to the beginning of the tournament. Every effort to ensure that all parts of the event will be in-person but we ask that participants be prepared for potential changes.
This event is sure to be a fast-paced and exciting event. All teams should come prepared for competition. Here are a few steps that every team should take to ensure that they are prepared.
1. Review the rules and run through the inspection checklist about a week before the competition so that there is ample time for adjustments.
2. Check the official VEX forums for rule updates and changes.
3. Pack for the event the day before the day of departure.
Here are a few items that you don't want to forget.
Spare parts & tools
Batteries and chargers
Engineering notebook (if you have one, helpful for Judges, Design and Excellence Awards )
Banners and other decorations for your team pit
Giveaways if you have them
4. Remember that safety comes first, please don't bring tools that pose a safety risk to your team, or others nearby as the venue is a very tight fit. Also, remember no grinding of parts or other actions that create sparks will be allowed in the gym. A designated area will be made available to teams for alterations.
5. Understand how the game will be played. VEX participants are more than welcome to watch the referee training videos before they attend a tournament. The referee training videos can be found here..
6. Read through the Robot troubleshooting guide. The guide can be found here..
7. To ensure that you have the latest version of firmware make sure that you have the latest update of your programming software.
8. Participation and Consent Form - A completed form for all participants must be posted online prior to check-in.
We will have breakfast and lunch options available for everyone. Here is our menu to start prepping your taste buds!
If this event is full, please contact David Brown, Event Planner (email@example.com) regarding availability and to be added to a waitlist.
Grade Level: Middle School
Skills Challenge Offered: Yes
Judging Format: All In-Person Judging
Event Dates & Locations
3100 Rock Road
Derby, Kansas 67037
Contact InformationYou must login to contact this Event Partner
8:00 AM Doors Open to Registration and event area.
- At registration, teams will need to turn their engineering notebook (if they have one to present) and
- Make their intentions known regarding participation in the Skills Event
8:15 AM Inspection begins
8:45 AM Inspection concludes
9:00 AM Drivers meeting and announcements
9:15 AM Preliminary qualification rounds begin.
9:30 AM Skills Event field opens
12:00 - 1:00 PM Lunch Break & Skills Event
1:00 PM Preliminary rounds continue
2:30 PM Alliance selection
2:45 PM Elimination Rounds begin.
3:45 PM Tournament Concludes and Awards Ceremony begins.
4:00 PM Conclusion of Tournament
*subject to change based on number of teams entered
Volunteers are welcome to assist. We will train individuals to help us with the day. Contact David Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. Student volunteers may be used for field reset and queing.
Emergency/Bad Weather Policy
We will attempt to reschedule at the earliest possible time.
In the event the tournament is cancelled due to bad weather, teams will receive a refund minus the $5 RobotEvents fee.
For cancelation reasons unrelated to the weather, there will be no refunds.
Date: 4-Feb-2023Derby North Middle School
3100 Rock Road
Derby, Kansas 67037
For teams who might be coming in on Friday night, the Hampton Inn of Derby is the closest hotel to Derby High School.
If a webcast is available, we will share it with coaches prior to the event and post the link on this page.
All In-Person Judging will be used at this meet. - The Team Interviews and Engineering Notebooks will be judged in-person the day of the event. Teams should bring a physical copy of their notebook to submit to the judges. Thank You!